- From 1998: she is the Co-Editor-in-Chief and founder of the international journal Studia Mythologica Slavica (Ljubljana - Udine).
- From 1999: she is Co-Editor of the books in the book-collection Zakladnica slovenskih pripovedi (Treasury of Slovene Folk Tales) published by DIDAKTA in Radovljica.
- From 2004 she is Co-Editor and the funder of the book series Studia mythological Slavica – Supplementa.
- From 2005 she is in Editorial board of the journal Folklore, published by Estonian Institute of Folklore in Tartu.
- 2010: she is the Co-Editor-in-Chief and co-founder of the book series Slovenski pravljičarji/Slovene Storytellers.
- From 2002 to 2010: she was the head of the Institute of Slovenian Ethnology at the Scientific Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts in Ljubljana.
- Published scientific monographies: Pravljica in stvarnost (Folk Tale and Reality, 1995), Karel Štrekelj – Iz vrelcev besedne ustvarjalnosti (Karel Štrekelj – From the Springs of Poetics, 2001), Od ajda do zlatoroga – Slovenska bajeslovna bitja (From Ajd to Goldenhorn – Slovenian Mythological Beings, 2008); A Treasury of Slovenian Folklore (2010); six books in the series Zakladnica slovenskih pripovedi (Treasury of Slovene Folk Tales: 1999, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2011); Slovenian Supernatural Beings from Slovenian Myth and Folk Tales (2012). She also published numerous articles in many prominent Slovenian and international journals and book series in the field of folk narrative research.
- She is working on the programme and projects of the Institute of Slovenian Ethnology ZRC SAZU, and also on European projects: from the year 2011 she is the Slvenian coordinator of the Central Europe project ETNOFOLK Preservation and Enhancement of Folk Cultural Heritage in Central Europe. From the Year 2012 she is working for the European project Programma per la cooperazione transfrontaliera Italia-Slovenia ZBORZBIRK Kulturna dediščina v zbirkah med Alpami in Krasom (L'eredita culturale nelle collezioni fra Alpe e Carso).
- She is collaborating with Italian research institutions: International Centro Internazionale sul Plurilinguismo in Udine and Dipartimento di lingue e letterature stranieri at the Universita degli Studi di Udine; and in Klagenfurt with the Slowenische Volkskundeinstitut Urban Jarnik.
- She also collaborates with various institutions and encyclopedias among others she prepares articles for the Enzykolopädie des Märchens in Göttingen; for the Enzyklopädie der slowenischen Sprache und Literatur Kärnten in Vienna and for ERNIE – Encyclopedia of Romantic Nationalism in Europe.
- She is the member of the international Societies: the International Society for Folk Narrative Research and the International Society for Contemporary Legend Research. She is also the member of the Executive Board of the Slovenian Ethnological Society.
- She researtches folklore and history of Slovenian ethnology; and is the mentor or co-mentor for many students at the Department of Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology and the Department for Slovenistic Studies at the Faculty of Arts and Pedagogical Faculty of the University of Ljubljana.
Ethnology, folk narrative, contemporary legends, fairytales, folk tales, history of ethnology, incantations, mythology, folk medicine, folk beliefs.
Josip Šašel etnograf : ob stoletnici rojstva, Monika Kropej. 1984
Štrekljevi sodelavci - zbiratelji narodopisnega gradiva, Monika Kropej. 1988
K poznavanju Štrekljeve etnološke usmeritve, Monika Kropej
Karel Štrekelj : prerez skozi življenje in delo, Monika Kropej. 1995
Hrana i njeno značenje u slovenskim narodnim bajkama i pripovetkama, Monika Kropej. 1997
The horse as a cosmological creature in the Slovene mythopoetic heritage, Monika Kropej. 1998
Konj kot kozmološko bitje v slovenskem mitopoetičnem izročilu, Monika Kropej. 1998
Maskiranje v ljudskih pravljicah in povedkah, Monika Kropej. 1999
Magija in magično zdravljenje v pripovednem izročilu in ljudsko zdravilstvo danes, Monika Kropej. 2000
The tenth child in folk tradition, Monika Kropej. 2000
Desetništvo v ljudskem izročilu, Monika Kropej. 2001
Charms in the context of magic practice : the case of Slovenia, Monika Kropej. 2003
Cosmology and deities in Slovene folk narrative and song tradition, Monika Kropej. 2003
- February 14, 1956: born in Ljubljana where she graduated at the Clasical Highschool Ivan Cankar in 1974.
- 1980 she finished studies: B.A. in Ethnology and History of art at the Department of Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology at the Faculty of Arts of the University of Ljubljana.
- 1983: she was first employed at the Slovene Ethnographic Museum in Ljubljana.
- 1985: she is working at the Institute of Slovenian Ethnology at the Scientific Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts (ISN ZRC SAZU) in Ljubljana.
- 1989: M.A. thesis entitled Karel Štrekelj and His Ethnographic Legacy defended at the Department of Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology at the Faculty of Arts of the University of Ljubljana.
- 1993: Ph.D. thesis titled Folk Culture in Slovene Fairy Tales and Legends Based on the Example of Štrekelj’s Legacy defended at the Department of Ethnology and Cultural Anthropology at the Faculty of Arts of the University of Ljubljana.
- 1994–1998: Further advanced scientific study in Budapest, Vienna, Graz, and Innsbruck in Austria.
1996: she is the recipient of the Golden Emblem of the Scientific Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts for her book Fairy Tale and Reality.
Recognitions & awards
1996 Golden Medal of SRC SASA.